for the love of iris
Iris are one of the many unsung beauties of the cut flower world often forgotten by cut flower growers and home gardeners alike. I also am guilty of not giving these lovely flowers their due. As a matter of fact I completely forgot I had these until a hint of purple deep in the trees caught my eye.
I was given 1 rhizome years ago and unsure of where to put it so back in the dirt bank it went. Flash forward 3 years later they have established themselves and multiplied.
I cut several to test vase life and was overjoyed with not only how long they lasted but also with their glorious smell. Some fun facts for budding Iris lovers:
- There are about 200 species of Iris
- The purple Iris is symbolic of wisdom
- The Iris is a very hardy plant and comes back year after year
- The Iris takes it name from the Greek work for rainbow
- Some Irises are bearded and some are smooth
- A flower on the Sphinx is thought to be an Iris
If you are looking to add for of these lovey flowers to your cutting garden or farm check out the links below for some really stunning varieties: